Have the Weed Talk with Your Kids with These 4 Tips

As a parent, I know I will be having the illegal drugs “talk” with my boys sometime in the near future.  With the legalization of marijuana in some states across America, more and more parents should opt to have this weed talk much sooner.

Why It’s Important to Have the Weed Talk

Kids are exposed to marijuana at very early ages now and the research is clear that using marijuana during adolescence could have a long-term impact on a child’s memory, problem-solving skills and critical thinking.  Sometimes it is difficult to distinguish with our children the difference between whether something is right or wrong especially if it’s not illegal to do them.  Our children may believe that because it is no longer breaking the law to purchase and use marijuana, that therefore it is “safe” or “OK.”

Why It's Important to Have the Weed Talk

It’s important to have the “weed-talk” soon and prepare yourself with these tips:

• Consult your pediatrician.  Pediatricians can really give some great advice and insight into the use of marijuana and how it affects your child.
  • Set a date & time to sit down with your child.  Many parents wait until high school to have this “weed-talk” but our children are exposed to marijuana at even earlier years now.
  • Approach with honesty.  Most parents opt to talk about their own experiences with marijuana to help their children understand its’ effects.
  • Drug abuse occurs with legal drugs.  “It is legal so it must be OK.” is not the way parents want our children to discover drugs.  It’s important to stress the the medicinal uses of marijuana like that of other legal drugs but if used outside of how it’s prescribed could be dangerous.

Have the Weed Talk with Your Kids with These 4 Tips! #Parentingtips #weedtalk Click To Tweet

It’s important to have this conversation with your children because with growing technology, we cannot fool ourselves as parents into thinking we can shield our children from knowing about marijuana.  If in doubt, just ask yourself… would you rather your child find out information that may or may not be correct through their friends or something they saw online or on television?  Or would you rather the information they receive by accurate and honest from you?

Have you had the Weed Talk with your kids?

I’d love to hear from you! Please leave me a comment!

Thank you for visiting Mommy Engineering!

Connect with us on social media!

Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Pinterest

Love this post?  Sign up for our newsletter!

Learn More Here!

Would you like to work together? Contact Mommy Engineering!
Now accepting guest posts!  For more details, click here!

47 thoughts on “Have the Weed Talk with Your Kids with These 4 Tips

• March 6, 2017 at 2:09 PM

It is so important to have these “hard” talks with your kids. Great tips.

• March 7, 2017 at 2:54 PM

I’m dreading these hard talks but they are absolutely necessary! Thanks for visiting!

• March 6, 2017 at 3:01 PM

I’m so glad I don’t have to have this talk with anyone. I don’t have kids. It’ll be hard for parents though.

• March 7, 2017 at 2:54 PM

It is hard! It’s a tough subject to talk to about with kids! You are indeed lucky! Thank you for stopping by!

• March 6, 2017 at 3:13 PM

This is so very important especially now. Otherwise kids will get their information elsewhere. Good on you for taking this head on!

• March 7, 2017 at 2:53 PM

Absolutely! I think it’s important that our children get the right information! Thanks for visiting!

• March 6, 2017 at 7:47 PM

We will definitely be having this talk soon. Even though our kids are young right now, a grow facility is proposed in our town. If it passes, by the time it’s built and up and running we will have to talk about it sooner rather than later. Thanks for the tips.

• March 7, 2017 at 2:53 PM

Yes I agree! Talking about it sooner is one of the most preventative things you an do for your kids! Thanks for stopping by!

• March 6, 2017 at 9:28 PM

This is such an important talk to have! And I agree that you should have it earlier than high school. I was in 7th grade when I first used marijuana. I am so thankful that it didn’t end up with me using harder drugs, or addicted, but it’s scary to me now to think back and realize that my parents had no idea because they never would have thought I was old enough to have access to it.
    Jamie H recently posted…Rainbow Heart CloversMy Profile

• March 7, 2017 at 2:52 PM

Exactly! As parents, I feel like I want to fool myself into thinking they won’t get involved in it but that’s just not always the case! Thanks for stopping by!

• March 9, 2017 at 11:27 AM

Definitely different than when I was raising my kids. Parents today need to model positive behavior when it comes to drugs and alcohol. I see alcohol becoming more acceptable than ever in tv and movies. All I have to say is good luck, keep talking to the kids, and pray! <3

• March 10, 2017 at 9:12 PM

Yeah these subjects are tough especially with mainstream media definitely making it seem like these are “cool” and “okay” to do just because it is legal now. It’s important to stress the difference with our children before they go off making their own and mimicking those of their friends who may or may not have the right information! Thanks for visiting!
      Katriza recently posted…Win & Travel to Duns Castle in Disney’s Beauty and the Beast SweepstakesMy Profile

• March 10, 2017 at 7:51 AM

Well it’s not legal here so I guess that is a start as it makes it slightly more difficult for kids to get hold of. However, it’s still important for kids to understand the side effects and especially the long term effects of drugs that are often deemed relatively harmless in comparison to other class A drugs. I hope my kids never come into contact with drugs at all.

• March 10, 2017 at 9:03 PM

We all hope that our kids don’t come into contact with such drugs but sometimes it’s difficult and as a parent, it’s one of the biggest challenges. It isn’t legal where I am either but it is readily available. It would be foolish to think my kids would never run into this problem so I would rather parents take these precautions in order to help our children deal with such pressures! Thank you so much for visiting and sharing your opinion!

• March 10, 2017 at 9:01 PM

I believe you are totally right! I think if we set an expectation, it’s a critical part in parenting! These discussions are important and the people we receive information from is equally important! Thank you for your thoughts! Thanks for visiting!

• March 10, 2017 at 8:55 AM

Yes, this is an important topic. I live in Seattle where it’s legal and there are lots of shops selling it. Our oldest is only 3 but he’s already asking questions.

• March 10, 2017 at 9:00 PM

Wow my oldest is also 3 years old, almost 4 and I know that he will also come in contact with it because although it’s not legal in New Mexico yet, most people already have such easy access to it! Thanks for visiting and sharing your opinion!

• March 10, 2017 at 8:58 PM

Yes I think it’s important to talk about these drugs even if they are legal. Like I said, legal drugs can be abused too and it’s sometimes hard for our children to comprehend that a drug can be legal AND dangerous too! Thanks for visiting! I love the Early Bird Challenge on your blog! I will definitely have to try that too!

• March 10, 2017 at 12:14 PM

It is an important talk to have. My kids are still very young, but I think by time they are older the talk might look much different.

• March 10, 2017 at 8:57 PM

I agree, my kids are young too, both toddler boys! They are now exposed to this much sooner and with peer pressure, uneducated kids may be tempted! I think it’s important to have a frank and honest conversation with our kids! Maybe you’ll have this conversation with your kids sooner than I but you can always let me know how it goes! I would love some pointers for my turn! lol. Thanks for visiting!

• March 10, 2017 at 1:19 PM

I think this is so important to take about! I don’t have kids, but I have lots of nephews and nieces. I am allergic to weed so it’s always an interesting conversation point with kids and adults
    Angela Tolsma recently posted…Days of WeeknessMy Profile

• March 10, 2017 at 8:53 PM

Wow never heard of someone being allergic to weed before! How insightful! Even though you don’t have kids, I’m glad you are able to share some information with your nephews and nieces about this subject! Thank you for visiting!

• March 10, 2017 at 8:52 PM

That is great that you’ve chosen to have your talk with your kids! I think it’s important too, and best if it came from you 🙂 Thanks for visiting!

• March 10, 2017 at 7:28 PM

I’m so grateful that I had a mom that I could talk to about it and who had frank conversations with me about these things. It was part of my life growing up because my dad was always into it, but I tried it in high school and was not that impressed. It’s more important than ever now that so many people are supporting, endorsing, and openly talking about weed out in the open, online, and on tv.

• March 10, 2017 at 8:51 PM

I believe you’re right that people should be allowed to talk about this! It’s important to educate our kids so that they don’t get the wrong information from someone else! I think it’s important to talk about these experiences, especially your own, to really connect and drive the point home with our children! Thank you for visiting and sharing!

• March 10, 2017 at 7:59 PM

I am a very big proponent of legalized marijuana – whether medicinal or recreational (and I don’t use it). Like, alcohol, in moderation and used by adults I have no issue with it. HOWEVER, this applies to adults only. Kids have so much access these days, I absolutely believe in educating before they educate themselves on the streets or from other kids at school who don’t have a clue!
    Heather @ Country Life, City Wife recently posted…International Women’s DayMy Profile

• March 10, 2017 at 8:50 PM

I absolutely agree! Just like alcohol, it isn’t illegal to drink if you are of age yet too much can become an addiction! It’s important to teach our kids the difference! Thanks for visiting and sharing your opinion!

• March 11, 2017 at 4:45 AM

This is a good article about marijuana and your children. I imagine this is not an easy talk to have with your children.

• March 11, 2017 at 1:44 PM

I have done a lot of studying on drugs of all forms (legal and illegal) & I am a recovered addict so I have the added benefit of experience as well. I have no children but I’ve spoken to my nieces about not only Marijuana but more intense addictive substances as well (contrary to popular opinion Marijuana is not addicting) & given them all the information including a quick biology lesson on genetics. I honestly have more of a concern with alcohol than I do weed (pts more addicting, more damaging and more dangerous) although I don’t promote them smoking weed either.

• March 12, 2017 at 4:20 AM

I’ve lived in holland shortly where weed is legal but I feel like it’s very different from the US. They just don’t seem to talk about it or even smoke it as often as you’d think they would. I spent more than 6 months there and never even smoked it because it just wasn’t tempting. It must be very difficult for kids to understand it x

• March 14, 2017 at 8:39 AM

Well there is truth that kids have underdeveloped brains and so that’s were we see a lot of risky behavior in teens and having something be illegal just seems more appealing when they felt that they could get away with it. I remember my first time with alcohol was before legal age and by the time I was legal, it lost its’ appeal! Thanks for visiting & sharing your opinions!

• March 12, 2017 at 11:43 AM

I’m not a parent, but I do feel that it is so important to have these discussions early on with your children. They are exposed to things nowadays much earlier than we were so it is great for them to have the tools to make the right choices.

• March 14, 2017 at 8:37 AM

Yes, I think educating our kids to make educated decisions is the right move! I think this is a society problem, not just for those who have kids! So even if you don’t have kids, your honest experience and opinions do matter and anyone who talk to, especially impressionable kids, will respect that and listen <3 Thanks for visiting!

• March 12, 2017 at 12:18 PM

I am not sure when I plan on having the talk with my kids about this, but I am not someone who is against weed. Just against the abuse of it, or obviously using it if they are underage. Once they are an adult then they can make their own decisions but should be responsible.

• March 14, 2017 at 8:36 AM

I agree with you, I am against the abuse of it but unfortunately our kids may not even know these things and I believe it’s important that the information about drugs and drug abuse should come from a trusted source! Thank you for stopping by and sharing your opinion! <3

• March 12, 2017 at 5:21 PM

The drug talk my parents had with me was, drugs are bad don’t do them. I think it is important to have an open honest conversation with your kids about sex and drugs. If they know they can talk to you without judgment they may be less likely to be influenced by their friends.

• March 14, 2017 at 8:35 AM

My parents didn’t even talk to me about it. No sit down conversations, it was just assumed that they raised us well enough to just know these things are bad. The only thing my Dad would ever tell me was that I couldn’t date until I was married… or until after college lol. That’s just how they were! I think honesty is so important, especially when you’re thinking about having this talk sooner than high school. Kids can and DO respect that!

• March 12, 2017 at 6:08 PM

It is very important to talk to your kids early about weed. Otherwise, they are going to find out from their friends, and that may be too late. Then they become curious. Kids are so impressionable. They need to be taught the truth early.

• March 14, 2017 at 8:33 AM

I think you’re absolutely right! Kids are impressionable at such a young age and it truly molds personality and who they become! We can’t control everything in our kids lives but we can help educate them! Thanks for visiting!

• March 14, 2017 at 8:24 PM

Marijuana may not be as harmful as other drugs out there but it’s also quite addicting and it’s important to inform your kids about it. I think keeping an open communication with them is really important especially when you’re dealing with teenagers.
    Amanda Love recently posted…How to Travel When You’re BrokeMy Profile

• March 17, 2017 at 10:10 AM

We’ve talked to our kids about weed. We think its important to share the negative side of weed. Thanks for sharing

• March 18, 2017 at 3:33 PM

I agree, I think it’s so important for our kids to get the right information from the right people! Thanks so much for sharing your opinion! Thank you for visiting! <3

• March 20, 2017 at 9:40 PM

I am still not sure how to bring up this topic with my kids, they are still very young so I have some time to figure it out. These are great tips! I want to be sure to be the one my kids get their information about things, making sure it is the right information.

• March 21, 2017 at 2:09 PM

No one wants to have this talk with their kids but it is absolutely necessary. Just be honest and you will do great! Good luck! Thanks for stopping by and sharing your opinion! <3