Every person I’ve met that finds out that I’m from the Philippines has always asked me this one question: “Do you know how to make those delicious egg rolls?” Why… yes, I do and now you can too! This is the recipe my family has used for years and I’m going to share it with you.
Filipino Shanghai Lumpias Recipe
There are many different versions of these egg rolls and it usually varies with nationality. We all like to add our own little “spin” on this recipe. My family’s recipe calls for all three of the following: beef, pork, and shrimp. However, you can make an all beef egg roll, all pork egg roll, or a mixture of beef/pork. Whichever you choose, I promise it will still be delicious.
- 1 lb of lean ground beef (at least 80/10 ground beef)
- 1 lb of ground pork
- 1/2 lb of shimp (peeled, any size)
- 1 medium onion (cut into cubes)
- 3 sticks of carrots (peeled & chopped)
- 4 sticks of celery (chopped)
- 1 Egg
- 1 package of egg roll wrapper
- Sweet Chili Sauce
Make sure all the meat is completely thawed as you won’t be able to effectively mix the ingredients together if any of the meat is frozen
Cut the carrots, onion, and celery into smaller cubed pieces to fit in your food processor to allow it to be finely ground
Separate each sheet of egg roll wrapper and keep them moist by placing them on top of a moistened paper towel and covering them with another moistened paper towel. This will prevent them from hardening. Once a wrapper gets hard, you won’t be able to wrap them as they will chip off
Prepare the egg white – separate the egg yolk by puncturing a small hole on the tip of the egg and letting the egg white drain out onto a small dish. You will need this to seal your egg rolls when you wrap them
Using a food processor, finely grind the shrimp and place into a large bowl with the beef and pork. Afterwards finely grind the cut carrots, onions, and celery and combine it with the meat. (see pictures below) Season with salt and pepper and mix them together in the large bowl.
It’s easier and more effective to mix everything with your hands
- I usually like to test a small amount by frying it in a pan and adjusting the mix by adding salt and pepper
Once you’ve seasoned the meat as desired its time to wrap them. This is usually the hardest part for most people and its actually the most important. You will need to get a tight wrap so that the egg rolls don’t come undone when you cook them.
- Start by placing an egg roll wrapper squarely in front of you and about 1 inch from the bottle of the wrapper, start placing the meat in a horizontal line across the wrapper. Allow about half an inch from the sides of the wrapper to prevent the meat from spilling out when it expands during cooking
- Make sure you do not make the meat so thick as it will mean longer cooking time and more oil that could result in burning the outside of the egg roll and ruining a great presentation
- Begin rolling the wrapper by folding the end closest to you over the meat and pressing down to tighten the wrapper around the meat, freeing any air between the wrapper and the meat. Continue to roll the wrapper upward stopping about an inch from the top. Using your fingers, add egg white at the remaining end of the wrapper and finish rolling to the top. Place rolled egg rolls on a plate so that they lay with the “end” of the wrapper on the bottom to ensure the egg whites seal each egg roll.
Add the oil into a large sauce pan (at least 12″) and heat using medium settings (too hot will cause the egg rolls to burn easily without cooking the inside completely). Place a metal strainer inside a large mixing bowl to place cooked egg rolls in to cool and let oil seep out. Place egg rolls in pan and cook each side until golden brown. Cut each egg roll in half and place onto a serving dish. Pour sweet chili sauce in a small dip dish and serve 🙂
Have you tried this Filipino Shanghai Lumpias recipe? I would love to hear from you! Leave me a comment below & thanks for visiting! 🙂
Products from Amazon.com
Price: Check on Amazon
Do you love advice about parenting and homemaking?
Do you do a lot of DIY projects?
How about some fun giveaways?
If so, become a mommy engineer by subscribing to our newsletter!
Get the latest posts, giveaways, and exclusive deals from Mommy Engineering!
Learn more here and sign up!
Let’s connect on social media!
By connecting with me, you’ll help Mommy Engineering connect with more brands/companies to continue to bring you great content and exclusive giveaways and deals!
Want to be featured on Mommy Engineering?
Let’s work together!
We are a PR-Friendly blog and we also accept guest and sponsored posts!
For submission details please visit our disclosures page here!